Saturday, July 10, 2010

Mom's Coffee Cake

"Don't you just love Mom's coffee cake?!" asked by all of my siblings, including myself. We would get so excited when Mom prepared the coffee cake for the holidays especially Christmas morning along with her scrambled eggs which she would beat the eggs with milk, dashed salt and pepper.

Mom died on March 4, 2007. Now, her coffee cake among her other recipes have continued to live on. Please go ahead and give this a try at your kitchen.


Ingredients:
2 cups- Bisquick Baking Mix
1/4 cup- Sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup- Vegetable Oil
2/3 cup- Milk or Water
1 package of Vanilla Instant Pudding and Pie Filling









Streusel topping
1/3 cup- Bisquick Baking Mix
1/3 cup- packed Brown Sugar
1 tsp- Ground Cinnamon
2 tbsp- Butter or Margarine

Directions:
Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Grease baking pan 9 x 9 x 2 inches. Mix all ingredients in bowl except topping.

Mix all topping ingredients until crumbly. I used to watch mom take the butter that was immediately out of the refrigerator and cut the butter into little pieces with the other ingredients until crumbly. I do not do that. It is a bit too much for me. I just put the butter in the microwave along with the ingredients for about 25 seconds and mix them all together until it seems to be crumbly. Mom was anti-microwave! When we were all at a beach cottage one summer, my sister discovered a microwave had been wrapped and hidden in a closet way in the back of one of the bedrooms. :)
Sprinkle the topping onto the batter when in the greased pan.

Bake for under 30 minutes. Depending on your oven, just keep an eye on the coffee cake as you don't want to overcook. The way I do it is I shake the pan once in awhile to see if it is ready. If it is still running, then leave it in. Once it stops running, then take it out.




I love and miss you Mom! Thank you for EVERYTHING including the coffee cake! :)



































No comments:

Post a Comment